Sticky Cauliflower Wings
Experience the perfect balance of sweet and spicy with our Sticky Cauliflower Wings—crispy florets glazed in a delectable sticky sauce that will tantalize your taste buds. A vegetarian delight that packs a flavor punch!
½ cup Western Family all-purpose flour
½ tsp Western Family baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ cup milk (use a plain plant-based milk to make it vegan)
2 ½ lbs cauliflower (1 average head), cut into florets
¾ cup Western Family panko bread crumbs
¼ cup Western Family olive oil
1 sliced green onion
2 tsp oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
⅔ cup water
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp Western Family soy sauce
1 tbsp Western Family cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (using convection if you have it). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a very large bowl. Add milk and stir just to combine. Add cauliflower and toss to coat evenly in the batter.
- In a separate bowl, stir together panko and oil to evenly moisten. Sprinkle into the cauliflower bowl and toss to coat (it won’t be perfectly even). Spread cauliflower in a single layer on prepared pan, making sure the pieces don’t touch. Bake for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway, until the coating is golden brown and the cauliflower is tender in the middle.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat and add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the water and brown sugar.
- Whisk cornstarch with soy sauce in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk this cornstarch slurry into the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes, until sauce is glossy and thickened.
- Just before serving, gently reheat the sauce on low and pour over the cauliflower, tossing until coated. Top with green onion to serve.